University of Massachusetts Amherst
The NSDC Institutional Chapter at University of Massachusetts Amherst was built with the aim to create a safe space where students and researchers from all studies can educate each other, share knowledge and techniques applying data science, and promote comradery experience.
The chapter was founded in August 2023. Read on to learn more about upcoming activities, events, and opportunities brought to you by this Chapter! All are welcome to join this Chapter. To join an NSDC Chapter at another Institution (university or college), or to join a Regional Chapter (Midwest, Northeast, South, or West), visit the Chapter Central website.
Chapter Activities & Projects
Welcome to the NSDC Institutional Chapter at the University of Massachusetts Amherst!
We are a group of education and computer science researchers and students who are passionate about data science and its applications across different disciplines. Our aim is to create a friendly and supportive environment where we can learn from each other, share our skills and knowledge, and collaborate on interdisciplinary projects.
This chapter was established in August 2023 as part of the research group at UMass Amherst that combines computer science and learning science to enhance learning outcomes. We believe that data science is not only a technical field, but also a creative and practical one. We want to promote the use of data science in various domains, such as education, health, social sciences, arts, and more. We also connect with other NSDC chapters and communities to exchange ideas and experiences.
We welcome students from all departments from UMass Amherst, and the Five College Consortium, including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College, to join our chapter.
Chapter activities may include, and are not limited to:
- Engage in no-code/low-code data science projects using user-friendly software
- Using large language models (generative AI) such as ChatGPT, Bard, etc. to perform data science operations
- Host virtual events with other NSDC chapters to share stories and insights about data science
- Introduce students from all backgrounds and discplines to Python, Hugging Face, PyTorch, and other related technologies
- Conduct outreach programs for community colleges such as hosting tutorials, lightning talks, guest speaker sessions, etc
- Invite expert guest speakers from various fields within the UMass Amherst and the Five Colleges community to discuss the latest research, opportunities and challenges facing data science
- Host hackathons using public datasets from Kaggle, Google Dataset Search and related repositories
And so much more.
Become a UMass Amherst Chapter Ambassador
Are you looking for a way to contribute to the NSDC community, enhance your skills, and network with other like-minded students? If yes, then you might be interested in becoming an Ambassador for the NSDC Student Chapter at UMass Amherst, and the 5 College Consortium.
As an Ambassador, you will have the opportunity to:
- Lead hackathons and other events to showcase your and other students’ data science projects and learn from others
- Send monthly email communications and updates to the chapter members
- Share the latest news, trends, jobs and opportunities in the field of data science
- Represent the chapter at various conferences and workshops
- Receive mentorship and guidance from the chapter leaders and faculty advisors
In your cover letter, please tell us:
- Why are you interested in becoming an Ambassador?
- What are your skills and experiences in data science?
- How do you plan to promote and support the chapter’s activities and goals?
- What are some of the challenges or issues that you think data science students face today?
The Ambassadorship position is an unpaid and voluntary position. Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to apply. There is no deadline for applying for the Ambassador position. We will review all applications and contact you for an interview if you are shortlisted.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Data Science in Action – Poster Presentation
At the end of each semester, we invite students from the 5 College Consortium, faculty, international scholars and other community members, who have used data science techniques to showcase their work in a poster presentation. This is a great opportunity to share your insights, findings, and challenges with other data science enthusiasts and experts. You will also receive feedback and suggestions from the NSDC UMass Amherst Chapter community and faculty advisors.
All participants will receive an official certificate of participation from the NSDC UMass Amherst Chapter leadership team.
To register for the poster presentation, please check back here in November 2023 for a sign up form.
The poster presentation will be held on December 5, 2023 at UMass Amherst campus.
More details including poster dimensions, format, time and venue will be shared in November via this website and email notifications.
We look forward to seeing your amazing work!
Stay Connected with Us
Email us at email@example.com with any inquiries or questions.
Some ways to stay connected with the NSDC community: